Sixth incident of torching vehicles in Jughoor, say locals

Sixth incident of torching vehicles in Jughoor?

Gul Hamaad Farooqui

CHITRAL: Two vehicles of a businessman were gutted in a fire that the owner claimed to be the handiwork of anti-social elements. The fire erupted in the garage of Abdul Nasir at Rozgar Chowk in Jughoor between 2am and 3am on Tuesday.

Talking to ChitralToday correspondent on Wednesday, Mr Nasir, who owns a painting business at Bypass Road, said he had no enmity of whatsoever with anyone.

He said on Monday night he parked his two vehicles in the Jughoor garage and went home. At around 3am on Tuesday, local people called and informed him that a fire had erupted in the garage.

When Mr Nasir reached the spot, the neighbours had already alerted Rescue 1122. But before arrival of the Rescue 1122 staff, he said, the two vehicles along with the garage had already gutted in flames.

According to Mr Nasir, this was the sixth incident of torching vehicles by unknown elements in the same area and recently a vehicle parked on the premises of the house of a resident was found burnt.

It is intriguing that all these vehicles were found torched between 2am and 3am, he added. He said it seemed his two vehicles were burnt after dosing them with petrol. 

Unfortunately, he said, so far none of the elements has been traced. Mr Nasir said he approached the station house officer (SHO) of the area with a request to probe and trace the culprits but the police were asking him to be specific and nominate someone.

“But neither I have enmity with anyone nor suspect any particular individual or group for the fire. It is the responsibility of the police to investigate and trace the elements involved in such frequent incidents.”

However, he said the district police officer (DHO) had assured him that the culprits would be held and brought to justice.

Former councilor Muhammad Shafi seconded Mr Nasir and said about a month back a Fielder was also torched inside a house in Jughoor.

Abdullah, a social worker of the village, ruled out the possibility of electric short circuiting as a cause of the fire in the garage and said there was neither a power connection nor any electric appliances in the garage.

When contacted, the SHO of the area told ChitralToday that the police were investigating the case from all angles. He expressed the hope that the culprits involved in burning of the vehicles would soon be arrested.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *