Irregularities Alleged in Markhor Trophy Hunting

For over a year, local communities have neither received their dues, nor have any development or welfare project initiated in their areas.

M. Irshad Ullah

Chitral, Feb 18, 2026: Community elders, youth and political representatives in Rumbur Valley of Chitral have raised serious objections over unpaid dues from previous markhor hunts and alleged irregularities in the recent hunting activities.

They warned that if clarifications were not provided within 10 days, the local people would stage protests.
A joint media briefing by the locals was organized in Rumbur led by minority leader Saifullah Jan of the Pakistan People’s Party. Village Council Rumbur Vice Chairman Sharafat Shah, minority councillor Noor Shali and Kalash religious leader Qazi Mir Zatlay were also present.
Vice Chairman Sharafat Shah said that it has been over a year since last year’s markhor hunt, but local communities have not received their dues, nor have any development or welfare projects been initiated.

He alleged that the recent hunt, on February 10, was conducted in secrecy, without consulting local elders or residents, and even photography and videography of the hunt were prohibited.
He added that the markhor was immediately covered with a tarpaulin and removed from the area, contrary to standard practice of releasing images and videos at the official level.

Shah said this has raised doubts over whether all legal requirements were properly followed.
Shah urged the deputy commissioner of Lower Chitral and the DFO of Chitral Gol National Park to issue public clarification within 10 days, release pending dues, and provide a clear schedule of development projects, warning that failure to do so would force locals to protest outside government offices.

Qazi Mir Zatlay added that all activities in Rumbur Valley should involve consultation with local elders and religious leadership. “Decisions over local resources must be taken collectively; unilateral actions are unacceptable,” he said.

Minority councillor Noor Shali said he had raised concerns about last year’s hunt procedure and submitted a formal resolution demanding transparency this time as well.

He criticized that the recent hunt took place while he was in Peshawar, raising further questions about the process. Shali warned that if the issues are not addressed within ten days, he will pursue legal action through the proper judicial framework.

According to reports, last year a foreign hunter paid about 12.5 million rupees to hunt a markhor at Plarok, while the recent hunt reportedly involved a payment of around 20 million rupees. Local leadership, however, claims that the distribution of these funds and their use for the community remains unclear, causing widespread concern among residents.

Related:

55-Inch-Horn Markhor Hunted In Toshi Shasha.

American hunts markhor in Toshi Shasha.

Two Booked For Illegal Markhor Hunting.

1 thought on “Irregularities Alleged in Markhor Trophy Hunting”

  1. Ramadan 2026 To avoid death by storms floods lightnings tornadoes hail snowstorm sandstorms wildfires strong earthquakes more mag 7 earthquake tsunami volcano meteorites in Afghanistan in Europe in Africa in Asia in Pacific Ocean in North and South America non-Muslims to convert to Islam and Muslims to apply the Quran 100% February 18,2026.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest