Rocket attacks on Kabul leaves eight dead

Rocket attacks in Kabul leave eight dead

At least eight people were killed on Saturday when a barrage of rockets struck densely populated parts of Kabul, marking the latest big attack in a wave of violence sweeping the Afghan capital.

The salvo slammed into various parts of central and north Kabul — including in and around the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses embassies and international firms — just before 9am (0430 GMT).

The Iranian embassy said on Twitter that its main building had been hit by rocket fragments after a missile landed on the premises. No one on the compound, located just outside the Green Zone, was wounded.

Interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian blamed the Taliban, saying “terrorists” had fired a total of 23 rockets.

“Based on initial information, eight people were martyred, and 31 others were wounded,” Arian said, noting the final toll would change.

Kabul police spokesman Ferdaws Faramarz confirmed the same tolls and details. The Taliban denied responsibility, saying they “do not blindly fire on public places”. At least one rocket landed in an office inside the Green Zone, but did not explode.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *