BREP: A fire destroyed a house in Ratheni on Tursday morning, causing a loss of hundres of thousands of rupees to the owner.
The two rooms, one bathroom and a store for guests belonging to retired Subedar of Chitral Scouts Qayyum Muhammad was located at a distance from his family residence.
The cause of the fire could not be known while locals ruled out short circuit as there was no electricity in the area when the fire broke out.
Furniture, including sofa sets, beds and other valuables were also destroyed in the fire.
The elder brother of the house owner, retired Subedar Sher Goli Khan, passed away on Monday and a large number of people were present in the house.
However, they could not put out the flames even though they tried to extinguish it for hours.
Guests had stated in the burnt house at night and moved to the residence of the deceased when the fire broke out.
A local told ChitralToday that some of the guests might have left burning cigarette butts in the house that caused the fire.
House fires have become common across Chitral due to lack of safety measures. In villages, there is no service such as firefighting which increases the losses from such incidents.